Tiffin Sambar – One of the delicious sambar in all other sambar variety. The taste of this sambar makes you to have more idli or dosa, this (Tiffin Sambar)sambar will have mixed vegetables if you have it in hotels like potato, drumstick, carrot, beans, eggplant, etc. When you prepare at home you can add as many varieties of veggies as you like, but moderate the number of vegetables you add, accordance with the quantity of dhal.
So you can use 1 cup to 1 1/2 cup of vegetables of your choice.
Dhal must be well cooked and mashed before adding into the sambar. To cook mashy dhal, soak it in hot water for 10 min before pressure cook.
Let us see how to make Tiffin Sambar.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
cooking time: 15 minutes
For cooking dhal:
Thor dhal – 1/2 cup
garlic cloves – 4
castor oil – 1/4 tsp
turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Water – 2 cups
For making Tiffin Sambar:
Oil or ghee – 1 1/2 tbsp
mustard – 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
cumin – 1/2 tsp
urad dhal – 1/2 tsp
red chilly – 1
curry leaves few
asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
shallots/ small onion – 10
carrot – 1
beans – 10 number
Brinjal/ eggplant – 4
potato – 1 (medium size)
tamarind extract – 1/4 cup
coriander leaves few
salt to taste
Ingredients for Tiffin Sambar Powder:
Channa dhal – 1/2 tbsp
urad dhal – 1 tbsp
coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
Kashmiri red chilly – 2
red chilly – 1
cumin – 1 tsp
pepper – 1/2 tsp
fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Preparation Method for Tiffin Sambar:
Pressure cooking dhal
1. To begin with, wash the dhal, drain the water, take this in the pressure cooker with garlic, turmeric, 1/2 tsp of castor oil. Add in water, pressure cook for 6 whistles in medium flame.
Making sambar powder
2. Heat 1 tsp of oil, add 1/2 tbsp of Channa dhal, 1 tbsp of urad dhal, 2 tbsp of coriander seeds, chili, 1 tsp of cumin, 1/2 tsp of pepper, 1/2 tsp of fenugreek seeds. Saute it for 5 minutes in medium flame.
3. Let this mixture to cool
4. transfer the mixture into a blender jar, make a fine powder and keep aside
To make Tiffin Sambar:
5. In a pan, add the oil, mustard, fenugreek seeds, cumin, urad dhal, red chilly, curry leaves, asafoetida one by one in this order.
6. Add in onion, saute for two minutes.
7. Put the veggies one by one and saute for 5 minutes, add salt and turmeric powder.
8. Add tamarind extract, add little water cover and cook it for 10 minutes to boil the vegetables ( if you add drumstick it takes extra minutes to cook)
9. Now add dhal and sambar powder, mix well
10. Pour 2 1/2 cups of water, give it a mix thoroughly
11. bring into a boil nicely
12. Add the coriander leaves for garnish
Now the Tiffin Sambar is ready.
Stepwise Picture Recipe for Tiffin Sambar:
To make sambar
Now the Tiffin Sambar is ready to serve
Furthermore, This tiffin sambar would be a good side dish for idli, dosa, ven Pongal, Rava kichadi, and even with rice, it would taste good.
Along with Tiffin Sambar recipe Also, check out,