potato fry recipe | chettinad potato fry | baby potato fry detailed recipe with video and step pictures. It is one of the hot and spicy fries and It is served with rice, sambar in lunch. It goes really well with curd rice and sambar rice, and other rice varieties. Like other Chettinad recipes, this recipe also follows grinding fresh spices on the spot. With the right amount of spices with potato, onion, ginger garlic, and tomato this potato fry tastes great. Instead of baby potatoes, we can use normal potatoes for this potato fry recipe.
Usually, I prefer less spiced food. This chettinad potato fry | baby potato fry is the one that made me give so many attempts to make this dish less spicy. Because as we are using whole garam masala, the spiciness becomes high even with a moderate amount of spices. After a few attempts, I found the recipe less spicy and tasty. Even the kids can eat. Whenever we like to prepare simple as well as tasty, this potato fry with a rice dish would be a good option.
This potato fry recipe | chettinad potato fry | baby potato fry nicely pairs with curd rice, dal rice, sambar rice, coconut milk pulao, rasam rice, and also with rotis (if you are going to use it for rotis, finally just take off the potato fry when it is semi gravy condition)
Boiling potatoes for 2 whistles is enough for baby potatoes. If the potatoes are big, then pressure cook it for 3 whistles. That will be enough. And also, even overcooking the potatoes leads to the mushy potato fry. So cooked potatoes must be firm and also, cooked well inside. (I got these baby potatoes in the name of cocktail potato)
Roasting the spices:
I have dry roasted all the spices in low flame for 2 minutes, then I have added dry coconut while grinding.
If you are going to use fresh coconut, just saute the coconut with a tsp of oil till it becomes slightly brown. Then use it for grinding along with the spices.
Let us get into the recipe of chettinad potato fry | baby potato fry | potato fry recipe
potato fry recipe | chettinad potato fry | baby potato fry
For Roasting and grinding:
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 Kashmiri red chilly
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp fennel
- 2 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 1 cardamom
- ½ tsp black pepper
- few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp dry coconut
For making potato fry:
- 3 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- few curry leaves
- 2 green chilly
- 100 gram shallots(chopped) (or 1 onion)
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic crushed (or paste)
- 500 gram potatoes(boiled)
- 1 tomato (chopped)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves for garnish
To boil the potatoes:
- In a pressure cooker add in washed potato and 1 tsp of salt and 2 cups of water
- Pressure cook for 2 whistles
- After pressure released naturally, take the potatoes and peel off and keep aside
For roasting and grinding:
- In a pan, add in 2 tsp of coriander seeds, 1 Kashmiri red chilly, ½ tsp cumin, ½ tsp fennel, 1- inch cinnamon, 2 cloves, 1 cardamom, ½ tsp black pepper, few curry leaves, Fry it for a while in low flame
- Turn off the flame, Let this mixture to cool
- Then transfer this roasted mixture into a blender jar,
- then add 1 tbsp of dry coconut
- Blend into a fine powder
For making potato fry:
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a pan, add ½ tsp of cumin seeds, let it crackle.
- Then add 2 green chilly, few curry leaves
- Next, add onion chopped, saute
- Then 1 tbsp of ginger garlic paste, add a little salt, saute it well until onion becomes slightly golden brown
- Put chopped tomato and keep the flame low to cook the tomato becomes mashy.
- Add in turmeric powder, salt, ground masala powder, give a good mix
- Next, add in boiled potatoes, keep the flame until this mixture becomes dry
- turn off the flame, garnish with coriander leaves.
Stepwise Picture Recipe for chettinad potato fry | baby potato fry :
After pressure released naturally, take the potatoes and peel off and keep aside
roasting and grinding:
making potato fry:
Now the potato fry is ready.
along with this potato fry recipe | chettinad potato fry | baby potato fry , check out the other recipes too
And also, follow us on,