vankaya bajji | brinjal chutney–Read recipe with stepwise picture and video. It is a side dish for idli and dosa. This dish is most popular in Coimbatore, especially among Telugu speaking families. It is easy to make side dish with a pressure cooker and nutritious as well. The word bajji is a Telugu word which means chutney. The chutney is very simple yet tasty. If you haven’t tried this even for once, do try it.
Let us see how to make vankaya bajji | brinjal chutney.
vankaya bajji | brinjal chutney
- 1 onion medium-sized
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 dry red chilly
- 1 green chilly
- 1 potato 50 gram
- 2 tomato
- 4 brinjal/ egg plant 350 gram
- ¼ cup tamarind extract
- ¼ turmeric powder
- ¾ cup water
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- few curry leaves
- A pinch asafoetida
- In a pressure cooker, add in chopped onion, 2 garlic cloves, 2 dry red chilly, 1 green chilly, 1 potato chopped, 2 tomatoes chopped, and chopped brinjal
- then add salt and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder
- Pour in ¾ cup of water, give a stir
- Turn on the flame, cover the pressure cooker with lid
- Pressure cook it for 3 whistles in medium flame
- After pressure releases, mash the mixture with a hand blender(stick blender) or potato masher, (or mathu)
- Then season it with mustard seed and curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil (sesame oil or groundnut(peanut)oil, splutter ½ tsp of mustard seeds
- And then turn off the flame, add curry leaves and asafoetida
- Finally, Pour this seasoning mixture into the chutney. It is done.
Stepwise Picture Recipe for brinjal chutney:
- Furthermore, this brinjal chutney used to be thick. (Making thin will change the taste too)
- additionally, with the brinjal and potato, you can add ridge gourd too, but this step is optional.
- While chopping brinjal, immediately, put inside the salted water to avoid blackening
- I just added a 3/4 cup of water to pressure cook for 350 grams. If you going use below this quantity add only 1/2 cup to cook
- Unlike other chutney, we can keep the leftover brinjal chutney inside the fridge to use in the next day. It remains good.
Also, check out,
And also, follow us on,