bread halwa is a dessert with very few ingredients as well as easy to make dish. It is a combination of bread and sugar along with a little bit of ghee and cardamom powder, garnished with nuts. This dessert is very popular in Muslim families. Even they serve this in the wedding functions too.
very easy to make bread halwa needs only less than 20 minutes cooking time.
You can use any kind of bread like, white bread or whole meal or multigrain bread.
Let us see how to make bread halwa:
- 6 slices bread
- 3 tbsp ghee 2 tbsp ghee for toasting bread, 1 tbsp used at the end of making halwa
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 8 cashews (chopped) (1 tbsp)
- 8 almonds (chopped)(1tbsp)
- Cut the edges of the bread to remove the crust
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pan, add chopped cashews and almonds, fry it to golden brown
- In the same pan with oil, place the bread slices, toast it both sides
- pour 1 more tbsp of ghee to toast the second batch of bread slices
- After that cut the toased bread into small pieces
Making sugar syrup and halwa:
- In a pan, add 1 cup of water and ½ cup of sugar
- heat it till the sugar getr dissolved in water
- then put the pieces of bread, dip the bread pieces into the sugar syrup
- Keep the flame low, stir till it reaches the halwa consistency, Meanwhile put 1 tbsp of ghee
- When the mixture leaves the pan, and gather as a mass, the halwa consistency reaches
- finally, add ¼ tsp of cardamom powder, and fried nuts, mix a mix
- Transfer the halwa mixture into a bowl
Step-wise Picture Recipe for bread halwa:
Now the bread halwa is ready to serve
Make the Sugar syrup just dissolved in water, it need not to be any string consistency
Keep the flame low while stirring the halwa, that make the process failproof
You can use any type of bread like white, wheat, wholemeal, multigrain etc
I have used 2 tbsp ghee for toasting the bread, Instead you can use any cooking oil that wont giving any predominant smell.
1/2 cup of sugar will be medium-level sweetness, you may increase or decrease the quantity depends upon your taste(1 cup=250 ml)
Along with bread halwa, Also, check out,
And also, follow us on,